“A day after announcing the global launch of iOS 14 in the ‘Time Flies’ Event, Apple has finally rolled it out. Let’s dig in to learn some interesting facts about it!”
The iOS 14 has been triggering the curiosity of global tech experts for a long period of time. It was not hard to miss the excitement when it finally rolled out. The latest version has a lot in store, and today we would be discussing all of its top features. Keep reading further to elevate your understanding of the latest version.
Before we begin, let us check all the compatible devices.
The Compatibility Check!
Here is the list of iPhones that are supported by iOS 14-
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
To simplify it further- any iPhone supported by iOS 13 is also supported by iOS 14. It is good to know that iOS 14 kept the support of devices like iPhone 6s and iPhone SE.
Top Features Of iOS 14
1. App Library
The updates included an all-new App Library. According to the company, it is like a new Home page screen. Here are some of its benefits-
- It organizes applications in a simple manner.
- The screen intelligently surfaces applications.
- The new App Library delivers an easy to navigate view.
- There is no need to keep apps on the iPhone’s Home screen.
- One can easily hide Home screen pages in the latest update.
- Rather than crowding up the Home screen, users can shift their apps in the App Library.
2. Home Screen Widgets
This latest iOS 14 allows the users to add widgets directly to the Home screen. What does it mean? This feature will allow us to switch the iconic grid of icons in order to include widgets for both third-party developers and first-party Apple apps.
- Users can add a Smart Stack of multiple widgets to the Home screen.
- With on-device intelligence, iOS 14 will surface the right widget based on location, time, and activity.
- Multiple third-party apps are also adding Home screen widgets.
What kind of widgets are included? Here is the complete list. Take a look-
- Screen Time
- Siri Suggestions
3. Compact Siri & Phone Interfaces
Now incoming calls will not take up the complete phone’s screen. A tiny incoming call bar will appear on the top. With this change, users don’t have to miss out on anything while receiving or rejecting the incoming calls. This is one of the most longed updates. Just like the calls, now activating Siri will also not take up the entire space. Because of the new design, a small interface will appear on the bottom of the phone. But one of the drawbacks here is that the user cannot interact with anything else on the phone, while Siri is on screen.
Have you heard about Picture-in-Picture video support? It is one of the best iPadOS features, which has now been introduced in iOS 14. This means that while watching videos on any app, you can also navigate through your phone. The video will simply appear in a corner. Isn’t it simply great?
These features can also be extended during FaceTiming.
5. Change E-mail Apps & Default Browsers
The latest version allows users to change the default email and browser apps. This will permit you to set a third-party app as a default web browser. If you have selected Google as your default, then all the links will open in Google. Apart from this, users can also set a third-party email app as a default. If your desired third-party app supports the adoption, then you are good to go.
6. YouTube 4K Support
Because of the update, the YouTube app, for the first time would support 4K playback. Here are the steps to access this feature-
- Open YouTube app in iPhone
- Play the video
- Select the ‘More’ icon present on the upper right corner
- Click ‘Quality’ and select 2160p
7. Searching Emoji
This is another awaited feature that came with the iOS 14. It helps the users by simplifying the search of any emoji. All you have to do here is pick the emoji picker from the keyboard, and you will witness a new search field.
8. App Clips
According to Apple, it is a medium to download a part of the app, instead of downloading the complete app. It is hands down, one of the biggest features of iOS 14. If third-party apps want to access this feature, then they would have to adopt App Clips.
9. Accessibility Improvements
There are multiple accessibility features. The improvement includes- Back Tap feature. It allows users to trigger Shortcuts, gestures, and accessibility controls, by simply tapping the back of their phones.
Take a look at the Privacy feature of iOS 14-
- From next year, all applications must obtain user permission before tracking.
- Users can choose to share their approximate location with developers, rather than sharing their exact location.
- Developers can now allow users to upgrade the existing accounts to Sign in with Apple.
- Soon App Store would display self-reported privacy practices by developers in easy to read format.
- There would be a new status bar indicator when the application uses a camera or microphone.
These are the top 10 features of iOS 14. Did we miss any features? Let us know in the comment section present below. For more tech updates, stay tuned to this space.4