Android app development has been one of the most popular among developers and businesses worldwide. And the reasons are in ABUNDANCE.
However, the constant updates and tech trends have pushed OS and their languages to improve and adapt to make a pace with the on-going app development needs.
In this run, Android languages have emerged to help programmers in adding new features to products.
Excited to know more?
Stay tuned to this blog post and just scroll it further to unleash the fact, which language is better than the other.
Groovy or Kotlin; which one to proceed with?
Indeed, considering the wide spectrum of programming paradigms, it turns out to be a hard task to assess which one is the best, as each of them come with their own set of features and functionalities. Hence we have brought you a quick comparison guide to glean insights that which one is better for your next Android app development project.
So let’s get on a quick nerdy tour of Android languages…
A quick overview of Kotlin
Benefits of Kotlin
- An official Android development language;
- A good choice for developing server-side applications;
- Bigger names such as Pinterest, Uber, Coursera, and Evernote have included Kotlin;
- Completely interoperable with Java
- Requires fewer lines of coding;
- Enables safer code as the number of code written is less;
- Easy to maintain;
- Has Null in its type system.
A quick overview of Groovy
Groovy is a testing-oriented development language, having a syntax that supports running tests in IDEs. The best feature it has stated is that it supports both static typing typical for Java and has a dynamic typing similar to Python. Groovy came into existence much before Kotlin and can be used as both a programming language and a scripting language for the Java Platform. Groovy is also compiled to JVM-Java Virtual Machine bytecode and interoperates flawlessly by different Java code and libraries.
Further, it also has a knack for supporting native markup languages like XML and HTML and domain-specific languages.
Benefits of Groovy
- Enables writing applications and scripting with the same language;
- The best choice to be used for scripting and possibly to migrate the scripting logic;
- Biggers brands such as Netflix, Oracle, LinkedIn, and JPMorgan, MasterCard, and other financial institutions use it for their DSL capabilities;
- It is an embedded business language;
- Supports static and dynamic typing;
- Allows concise, brief, and direct syntax;
- Provides Native support for markup languages like XML and HTML.
Comparison between Kotlin vs Groovy
1. Technology ecosystem
- Kotlin– It has limited libraries for the developers.
- Groovy– It holds a wide variety of build tools, test frameworks, GUI building, and code analysis.
2. Based on features
- Kotlin– Well, it reduces runtime crashes, easy for interoperability with Java, safe and reliable, smart cast function, low cost of adoption, statically typed, extension function, high-order functions, Null safety, Smart Cast, and many others.
- Groovy– Holds incredible features such as runtime and compile-time meta-programming, closures, builders, static compilation, functional programming, static and dynamic typing, regular expressions, supports XML/HTML, and operator overloading among many others.
3. Coding parameter
- Kotlin– It is a pragmatic language, which makes it easier for the developers to use it, having knowledge of Java coding.
- Groovy– It requires lesser lines of code and makes it easier for developers to read and learn it
4. On the performance scale
- Kotlin– The performance of Kotlin is similar to Java.
- Groovy– Compared to Java or Kotlin, Groovy is slower, as there are additional runtime checks.
What’s the final take?
Hmm, TBH both Kotlin and Groovy are developer-friendly languages, and the major difference lies within the compilation only. Further, they both are interoperable, making both of them co-exist in the same application. So both of them have their own advantages that can be picked to fill your bucket list, you need to get in touch with your developer to get recommended with the best choice for your Android project.
As a leading Android app development company we at Techugo, have utilized Kotlin to master the incredible app solutions for notable brands across the world. It depends on the type of app you are building so accordingly you can include the preferred language to make the process easier.
However, when it comes to predicting the future, definitely new tech trends and updates have a bigger space in the development field to help them flourish out of bounds.
Have you got any query to build a scalable Android app?
Feel free to approach us and our team will help you build a solution that would truly mesmerize your audience base.11